Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:Relic CommunitySuggestionsBase upkeep
You need to login with Discord to create topics, post or vote in polls.

Base upkeep

I like to build big as much as the next person but I know to be reasonable and not build huge because not everybody has a 4090. There are some really big bases on this server that lag me out when im flying for a solid 30 seconds and im sure im not the only one that is annoyed by this and tries to remember to avoid these areas completely. I always try to claim an island on wipe day so i dont have to deal with neighbors that want to build big skyscrapers next to me. I would not be very happy if i setup my base and the next day someone builds something insane so i average 15 fps in my base. Id have to move as this is unplayable. I suggest we add base upkeep. I'm not saying we should do vanilla upkeep but maybe 1/4th would be a good number to start with. Adding upkeep would help alleviate this problem and if they wanted to build giant mansions and skyscrapers they'd at least need to farm daily to upkeep it. To put it into perspective my base pictured below has an upkeep of 105k stone, 2k metal and 1k wood. I feel 1/4th of this upkeep would be ok to farm for daily. I have 4 people living with me in this base which is why I made it rather large. But anyways I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion but I know I'm not the only one who hates flying around sometimes because of the huge bases.

• download-8.jpeg

Personally I cant be ok with upkeep, I came to a no decay because i can be out of town for a week at a time and cant always upkeep my base. I believe a good direction would be to continue on with placing limitations on items that can hurt the server in large amounts. the limitation on horses was a good idea, and it might change in the future as we see how the server progresses. 1 Limitation might be that if you are going to have a large base that you should only be aloud to build in 1 location. Having multiple lagging bases spread access the map is going to ruin the playing experience of the general population. Having a limitation on Planters (I love you grim but its gotta happen). I personally have built a large base, around sulfur quarry, and it took allot of time. but i built it efficient, and yes because of multiple factors it take a second to render in, but once it does you can run it at good fps. If your going to build big please have the courtesy to build efficient and respectful to your neighbors.

• rust-base.png

ja

Part of what makes Relic so unique and what has kept me around for 2-3 years is that I don't have to worry about my base if I need to log out for a week or can't get on for 'daily farming'. Relic is also primarily a building server. I've built on islands, and I've built in the busiest areas on the map. I've built deep in the forest/mountains, I've claimed islands, I've claimed swamps and frozen lakes. Until recently, I was playing on a 1080 card with 16 gigs of RAM, I now have a 3080 with 32 gigs of RAM. I had a few issues with lag on my 1080, but that was for very extreme builds. 

I like having neighbours because I like seeing what people get up to and build. I usually make a whole public space in my base just so I can contribute even if I'm not around. And if I am around, the space encourages people to stop by or hang out if they want to. These spaces used to be super common when you ran the roads on Relic 🙂 but times and people have changed, and everyone wants to build in private spaces, which is fine and dandy.

All this to say, I've played in a lot of different ways here on Relic, on teams and solo, and I honestly would quickly lose interest if I /had/ to log in daily just to refuel my base. 

Building limits on Relic would destroy one of the pillars that keep people returning wipe after wipe. It would stifle creativity.

Edit: A limit on lag producers, such as spotlights/troughs/windmills/anything else that's been ID'd as a lag causer in large quantities would be totally fine by me.

Quote from sertiuse on March 16, 2024, 10:44 am

Personally I cant be ok with upkeep, I came to a no decay because i can be out of town for a week at a time and cant always upkeep my base. I believe a good direction would be to continue on with placing limitations on items that can hurt the server in large amounts. the limitation on horses was a good idea, and it might change in the future as we see how the server progresses. 1 Limitation might be that if you are going to have a large base that you should only be aloud to build in 1 location. Having multiple lagging bases spread access the map is going to ruin the playing experience of the general population. Having a limitation on Planters (I love you grim but its gotta happen). I personally have built a large base, around sulfur quarry, and it took allot of time. but i built it efficient, and yes because of multiple factors it take a second to render in, but once it does you can run it at good fps. If your going to build big please have the courtesy to build efficient and respectful to your neighbors.

Sertiuse bud i love ya but limiting planters is a terrible idea. Unlike horses and fert they are actually one of the primary ways of gaining XP for a lot of people.

I don't usually build huge bases, but I'd hate to worry about upkeep,  even if it was 1/10th vanilla.

Instead, what if only twig required upkeep? That would automatically clear out a lot of the giant empty boxes people build and get bored with, it would limit the rate of growth by requiring an upgrade sooner to avoid decay, and it would make dropping 250 TCs on wipe day a bit more expensive. Plus it would make the server look nicer because twig bases are ugly.=

Also: make it so horses don't poop unless they're wearing armor. It would stop people from buying a million horses and allow them to experience the pride of owning & caring for a glorious armored horse.

Personally one of the two main reasons I decided to play on Relic was the no upkeep factor, the other being no end of wipe purge. I certainly don't build ginormous bases that cover entire mountains ect, but I build somewhat big, mostly in footprint rather than towering upwards. My current upkeep would be 127k stone, 16k metal, and 2k wood and I don't generate very much lag if at all other than having to load skins when you get close enough and I'm only running on a 1660ti. So it's not something that I'd like to see implemented.

One of the other servers I played on kept build sprawl under control by forcing people to upgrade from twig by letting it decay no matter what. All other materials were protected but because people had to farm up mats to upgrade they wouldn't just drop a slag pile of twig and walk away.

I'm not much of a fan of entity limits either, as annoying as flying over an area where 200 plant boxes have to spawn in is. Keeping the ability to build as open as possible is important but I would like people to be more thoughtful of what they're building in their creativity, it's the design snob in me I know, but we have some great builders and the chance to try fun creative things rather than the 17 story high twig wall that completely surrounds a mountain with a crap shack in the middle. If all you want is a box, that's cool, but be a good neighbor and don't make it so big it blots out the sun and acts as an unintentional lag engine.

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. I think the 7 day decay that we have in place is sufficient for removing clutter/reducing some entities. Relic has always been a place for creative freedom and social interaction, and I think adding a straight up decay/upkeep to the world is not the best way to move forward. I agree that it kind of kills the soul and spirit of the server.

With that said, we can look into placing a twig decay in the future if we think that would help some. Adding a limit on windmills and search lights should help reduce some lag. 

Again, thank you for the feedback and suggestions. 

We have a poll up on our Discord regarding twig decay.

• Screenshot-2024-03-26-172827.png